So after reading lots of different recipes online and watching several videos I decided I was ready to try and tackle these tricky little things...
The recipe itself wasn't too tricky but getting the right consistency for the mixture was! It's pretty technical In fact lots of the recipes said that if you didn't to get it just right then they would be too tough or not even cook at all! One said you should do precisely 55-60 folds when adding your dry ingredients to your egg whites so I went with that concept and I think it worked out pretty well.
It was slightly annoying piping them because it took about 20 minutes or more (and a lot of concentration) also annoying was that I made most of them waaay too big because I didn't realise they would almost double in size when I baked them, whoops!
As you can see they look more like little meringues than macarons but they tasted pretty good.
I would like to try them again at some point but maybe when I have a couple more hours and a bit more patience!
Practice makes perfect!